Blog Feature Image

Blog Feature Image

Friday 28 June 2013

Celebrating the Winter Solstice with Hippies


logo for Winter Solstice Festival


In the olden days, it was very common for people not to survive the harsh winter months. Cattle and other animals were usually killed just before the onset of the season to avoid more mouths to feed. With all this fresh meat available at the same time as wine and beer finally reaching fermentation, it was a great time for celebrations and festivals to occur. The Winter Solstice marks the beginning of winter, offering us the shortest day and the longest night of the year.

Located at the Northey Street City Farm in Windsor, we followed the little hand-made lanterns placed on the lawns. They led us around walls of trees and foliage to discover groups of people enjoying the bands on stage. The ground smelt very earthy and I noticed people walking out of nearby wooden huts and wondered if they lived there. People had brought blankets to lay on whilst they enjoyed their plates of food. On closer observation, we noticed that people were dressed like hippies with alternate hairstyles, beards, knitted beanies, some with bare feet and long dresses .

We decided to join a queue for the Chai Cafe - and I was glad I had it with soy milk because there was no real taste. Long lines had formed, particularly to get the organic Himalayan curry which I also wanted to try. I could smell mushrooms in the pan and I pondered whether I should opt to make my own pizza at the woodfire ovens but one of my friends didn't want to eat there so we left and ended up going to Burger Urge. Although it was a really cold night, I think it would have been nice to stay another hour to sample the food and watch the circus acts and bonfires!

What other events would you have gone to? Read about: 
Sundays Reserved for You - Ideas Fiesta at the City Botanic Gardens;
BrisStyle indie Twilight Markets in King George Square; and
Enjoying the Basics "Feet First" Invitation to Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts - Raise some issues, Share your insights.