Here's some information I would've appreciated knowing before I started:
- There aren't many furnished apartments that are available for rent in Brisbane City. Most are in Spring Hill or surrounding areas like Milton and Fortitude Valley.
- Always make phone calls to the agency advertising the rental property - they do not check/respond to their emails triggered by property websites.
- Real Estate Agents only advertise/organise the inspection dates and times once they have gained enough interest via contact on the phone.
- Furnished apartments are all shown during weekdays. Expect to take time off work. If you're asked to nominate an inspection time, set a time around your work hours and be firm as the agents may try to push you around to suit their own needs. I had an experience where they made it so difficult for me to change the time even though I just called five minutes earlier.
- Tenants only need to give 14 days of notice before they vacate the premises in QLD! So don't bother inspecting/applying for apartments that aren't available until a later date than that. It will cost you much more having to stay in a hotel room for a prolonged period than searching for another place.
- Forget looking at the Domain website - Brisbane tends to prefer the Real Estate website. It is updated with properties more often.
- A passport will come in handy when submitting tenancy applications - it will save you on trying to find enough points from other forms of ID.
- When you have agreed on lease agreement dates/pickup of keys, read the documentation carefully and prepare for agents who forget and fudge up the documents. I didn't think fast enough in response to the agent making up a lie on the spot so she wouldn't have to fix the paperwork. I had all the supporting emails - I just couldn't be bothered arguing and allowed her to charge me the extra day despite earlier agreements.
- Be extra diligent when filling in the Condition Report - test stoves, turn on taps, flush the toilet. Something will usually show up - maybe one of the stoves don't work, or water may leak from the ceilings or all over the floors after a shower. Maybe the toilet buttons get stuck. If anything comes up, at least you can start the process of repairs straight away - keep all emails and send photos!
I wanted to share my happiness with you and you finally initiated contact! You texted, you called, you tried to tell me so much at once. Slow down sweetheart - I'm here. But when we met, you brought along your safety blanket and I saw you controlling your body's natural instincts to fall into place with mine...
Looking for more Local Know-how? See:
Travelling with Translink, Brisbane City; and
Thursday Night is Soul'sa Night at Cloudland.